Kodi version 17 has been out a little while now and has some good updates and new features. However, there are still some builds and addons which are not compatible with Kodi 17, so if you’re a novice with kodi, I’d recommend sticking with version 16.1 for now.
However, if you want the latest version, which does have a load of new features and improvements, then follow the below instructions to update Kodi on your Amazon Fire TV / Fire Stick.
The below guide will also work as a fresh install if you’ve never installed Kodi on your Amazon device before. First I’ve detailed how to upgrade/install using Downloader. if you have any issues using this method, try using the ES Explorer method detailed at the bottom of the page.
- Open up your Fire TV Stick or Fire TV and go to Settings> Device or System> Developer Options. In here turn on “Apps from Unknown Sources” (it may already be ticked if you’ve previously installed Kodi)
- Click the “Home” button on your Fire Stick/TV remote and at the top left of the screen, click “Search”
- Search for “Downloader” and in the results, in the Apps section you’ll see an app called “Downloader”. Click this and install it.
- Open up the app you just downloaded “Downloader” and add the following URL in the box then click “Download”:
http://www.thewebsitez.com/Kod/kodiapk.apk (this is for Fire Sticks)
http://www.thewebsitez.com/Kod/kodiapk64.apk (this is for Fire TV)
- Once downloaded, click “Install” (the button is at the bottom of the screen) and it will ask you if you want to update Kodi.
- Once installed/updated, open Kodi and you should see the start screen will say Version 17. Ensure your addons etc are all still there and enjoy.
Using ES Explorer
- In your Fire device, go to Fire TV Settings> System> Developer Options and the setting 2Apps from Unknown Sources”, switch this to Yes if not already.
- Back on your fire Device home screen, click the Search option and search for: ES File Explorer. Once you see the app, install it.
- open ES File Explorer and add the following source as a favourite: http://www.thewebsitez.com/Kod/kodiapk.apk (this is for Fire Sticks) OR
http://www.thewebsitez.com/Kod/kodiapk64.apk (this is for Fire TV). – once added, name your favourite (websites, or Kodi, something you’ll remember)
- In your ES File Explorer favourites menu, click the link to launch the websitez/Kodi ES File Explorer download page.
- Click the link on the page to download the latest Kodi. (Make sure you click “Open File” NOT “Open Folder”.
- Once you’ve clicked “Open File”, you will see the latestKodi apk file. Click this File.
- You’ll be guided through the installation process.
- Once installed, launch Kodi and you should see it’s now version 17. Ensure your addons etc are all still there and enjoy.
Live in the UK and want the new second generation Amazon Fire Stick? You can buys yours now on eBay. Click here to buy yours.