UPDATED Jan 2018
Kodi version 17 has been out a little while now and has some good updates and new features. However, there are still some builds and addons which are not compatible with Kodi 17, so if you’re a novice with kodi, I’d recommend sticking with version 16.1 for now.
However, if you want the latest version, which does have a load of new features and improvements, then follow the below instructions to update Kodi on your Amazon Fire TV / Fire Stick.
The below guide will also work as a fresh install if you’ve never installed Kodi on your Amazon device before. First I’ve detailed how to upgrade/install using Downloader. if you have any issues using this method, try using the ES Explorer method detailed at the bottom of the page.
- Open up your Fire TV Stick or Fire TV and go to Settings> Device or System> Developer Options. In here turn on “Apps from Unknown Sources” (it may already be ticked if you’ve previously installed Kodi)
- Click the “Home” button on your Fire Stick/TV remote and at the top left of the screen, click “Search”
- Search for “Downloader” and in the results, in the Apps section you’ll see an app called “Downloader”. Click this and install it.
- Open up the app you just downloaded “Downloader” and add the following URL in the box then click “Download”: https://tinyurl.com/yccdta7k
- Once downloaded, click “Install” (the button is at the bottom of the screen) and it will ask you if you want to update Kodi.
- Once installed/updated, open Kodi and you should see the start screen will say Version 17. Ensure your addons etc are all still there and enjoy.
Using ES Explorer
- In your Fire device, go to Fire TV Settings> System> Developer Options and the setting 2Apps from Unknown Sources”, switch this to Yes if not already.
- Back on your fire Device home screen, click the Search option and search for: ES File Explorer. Once you see the app, install it.
- open ES File Explorer and add the following source as a favourite: https://tinyurl.com/yccdta7k – once added, name your favourite (websites, or Kodi, something you’ll remember)
- In your ES File Explorer favourites menu, click the link to launch the websitez/Kodi ES File Explorer download page.
- Click the link on the page to download the latest Kodi. (Make sure you click “Open File” NOT “Open Folder”.
- Once you’ve clicked “Open File”, you will see the latestKodi apk file. Click this File.
- You’ll be guided through the installation process.
- Once installed, launch Kodi and you should see it’s now version 17. Ensure your addons etc are all still there and enjoy.